Mar 13, 2009

Sons and Chores

The Teen came home from school today. He was excited that he had been able to purchase a Playstation 2 from a classmate and he wanted to get it plugged in immediately! I told him no. Actually, his reason was, "I just want to check it out and see if it works." (Ummm, looks like we need a lesson on frugal or wise spending!)

I told him, No, you can't plug it in right now...there are other responsiblities that have priority. To which I received a loud and long, "Maaaaahhhhhhhhmmmmmm!" I proceeded to tell him that his grandfather was waiting next door for Teen to come over and take care of prior committments. Teen's attitude gradually got worse as the afternoon went on.

When he returned home for dinner, he expressed his feelings regarding unfair designation of certain household chores. Meaning, he didn't want to do certain chores anymore because he's ALWAYS the one who has to do it.

Rather than argue with him (as tends to happen quite often), I suggested that he make me a chore chart that more fairly designates the household responsibilities among the members living here that are capable of performing such duties. To my surprise, he returned about an hour later with the requested chart. His idea is to rotate the chores on a daily basis. As it works out, the older household members will have 2 responsibilities at least once a week.

It's really not a bad idea, but it would be hard to remember (especially for me) that today's "Monday" therefore it's my turn to do the dishes and cook dinner.

Finally, the Teen, DH, and I all sat down, looked over the chart, and decided to try it on a trial basis this week just to see if it would improve things. However, now that the chart has been made, it will be MY responsibility to see that everyone is on task. Hmmm....how did this help me?

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Although this was a great idea, to the frustration of The Teen we still haven't actively given it a try.