Feb 21, 2012

Divorce Decluttering

It's been a while since I've posted regularly.  I guess it really doesn't matter anymore since I don't have THAT many readers.  I just post to keep up with myself.  Sometimes.

So, today, I got in a mood to start some decluttering.  I went through my filing cabinet and weeded out a whooooooollle bunch of stuff.  Then I placed my hand on a thick folder labled "Legal Papers".  In truth, it was everything related to my divorce saga from waaay back when.  The divorce decree, the custody agreement, the child support papers, etc.  Well, it dawned on me that the youngest child from that union is now 18 years old.  Therefore, I really didn't need that stuff anymore.  There were also lots of notes, tape recordings, and other junk that I never wanted him to see or hear. 

So, I did something today.  I decluttered.  I took that entire folder out to my fire pit in the back yard and burned it ... one page at a time .... to make sure that my son would NEVER lay eyes on that stuff.  As I placed each page on the flame, I glanced over it, remembering all the heartache and turmoil from that time in my life.  It hurt to rehash it, but burning it was also healing.  It's the past.  It's done.  All has been forgiven. 

My ex husband has grown up.  I have grown up.  It's refreshing to close that chapter of my life.

No comments: