Jan 29, 2016

A poem about me from a former acquaintance.


During my dating days, I was acquainted briefly with a really nice young man who wrote me a sonnet.  I kept it in a box and typed it up one day.  It was special to me because I felt it described our adventures to a T.  And so I post it here to remember days of old.

One day a girl – she came over

I felt like I’d found a four leaf clover.

We walked through parks with streams and trees

Skipping, jumping, very at ease.

We hunt and fish at our own leisure

Scaling and skinning, gutting for pleasure.

Also, when in my turck we do ride

I sit on the passenger side.

Hither and yonder, driving she goes

Clutching and shifting, dodging potholes.

I do not mind when she comes over

She is my own personal chauffer.

Thinking of her, I get melancholy

Her voice is a song – her eyes like a puppy’s.

So bright, so brown, tranquil they’re seeming.

But then look again, and you’d swear they were scheming.

She’s a girl, a woman, a companion worth mention

A give of laughs & smiles, not tension

Now it’s time that I be proposing

The eventual cause of this closing.

Before I do – I thought I’d mention, uh,

This girl, her name, it is Cynthia

-by Kenneth Harvey

No comments: