Jun 3, 2009

Seeing God's Hand

While participating in choir practice a while back, our music minister asked us a question. I can't remember his words exactly but it was something about how we approach God when there's a problem that needs solving. How many times do we approach or call out to Him when there AREN'T any issues? How often is it that God calls us to serve or do something for Him and our response is usually something like, "I'll do it Lord, when I can squeeze it into my schedule." or "I'll gladly serve you Lord, as long as I can do it between this activity or that activity."? Well, I pondered that question for a while and realized that I would serve the Lord, gladly, with all my heart and soul....as long as there is no pain involved. I'm all about PAINLESS servanthood!!!

Anyway, all that being said, let me tell you about the tiny, trivial challenge I was faced with today. I had a doctor's appointment that could not be changed. Well, it could but it would be rescheduled for 3 months down the road. I couldn't wait that long so I kept this appointment. My Little Bird has been participating in a music camp at a friend's church this week. It just so happens that the time to pick her up from music camp clashed with my doctor's appointment time. So, something had to give.

Fortunately, I have a 21 y.o. daughter who could drive to pick up Little Bird from music camp and pick up the Teen from driver's ed on the way. My concern was about the vehicle she would be driving. It hasn't passed inspection since we've had it back on the road. My other concern was the Teen and his ability to be very distracting. Despite these concerns, I had made arrangements last night with DQ to pick up both kids and bring them home since I was unable to do so.

After this discussion with DQ, I went to bed and read my little devotional book, "Jesus Calling". I read ahead to tomorrow's devotion. All devotions in this book are written in first person, as if Jesus Himself is speaking directly to the reader.

"Welcome the Challenging Times as opportunities to trust Me. You have me beside you and My Spirit within you, so no set of circumstances is too much for you to handle. When the path before you is dotted with difficulties, beware of measuring your strength against those challenges. That calculation is certain to riddle you with anxiety. Without Me, you wouldn't make it past the first hurdle!

The way to walk through demanding days is to grip My hand tightly and stay in close communication with Me. Let your thoughts and spoken words be richly flavored with trust and thankfulness. Regardless of the day's problems, I can keep you in perfect peace as you stay close to Me."
After I read that, I thought, "Hmm." and then I went to sleep. I got up this morning and headed out, taking Kangaroo with me and dropping Little Bird at Music Camp. Then I made my way over into town for my doctor's appointment. At this point, I'm still concerned about the pick up arrangements but feel confident that all will work out. DQ is a good driver and I knew everything would be okay. After all, God is in control!!

I made it to my appointment, made the hike from the parking lot to the doctor's office, and signed my name on the little list at the counter. Normally, I would have a seat and wait, wait, and wait some more until they called my name to go to another waiting area. However, today, that wasn't the case. I signed my name and was immediately directed to the 2nd waiting area. Upon arriving there, I briefly sat (by briefly I mean, my butt JUST touched the seat!) when the nurse called my name! I commented, "Wow, THAT was quick!". Then she took my vitals as she needed for the records and told me that room was available already and I could go on in and wait for the doctor. I was pleasantly Surprised! So, me and Kangaroo went in and the doctor arrived about 5 minutes later!

Doc's visit over, I head back out to my vehicle. On the way I realized that the ENTIRE ordeal from parking my truck-signing in-seeing the doctor-getting back to my truck took all of 30 minutes!!!! I had PLENTY of time to pick up Little Bird and the Teen myself and not have to depend on DQ to do it in that other vehicle!

Calling DQ and cancelling her services, I went on and retrieved the other kiddos. I got to the music Camp only 1 minute after they finished! PERFECT timing!

On the drive home from the music camp, I reflected on the devotional I had read. OF COURSE, it was PERFECT timing! Because EVERYTHING he does is PERFECT!

Oh, ME of little faith! What else will it take for me to see His handiwork in ALL things?

BTW, if you've read this entire thing...thanks for reading.

No comments: