Oct 19, 2009

Field Trip Day to the Farm: The Beginning

My Little Bird and I woke up this morning looking forward to our first Kindergarten field trip with the school. We've been on field trips before with the local homeschool group last year, but this one was special because it's the first one with the public school.

My day started with my going into Little Bird's room to wake her up. She responded, "I donwanna." Then I said, "But you HAVE to. We're going to the Faarrrrm!" She sat straight up, grinned from ear to ear, and said with a little shake of her head, "Oh, I'm AWAKE now. Thanks mommy!"

She hopped out of bed (literally!) and went straight to the breakfast table for a bowl of Frosted Flakes. I got her school uniform ready. I had bought her some new pants just because the weather was beginning to get cooler. Skirts, skorts, and shorts were soon not going to be enough to keep her legs warm. After she ate breakfast, I instructed her to get dressed. She put the pants on and I immediately noticed that they were too big in the waist. Soooo, out comes the sewing machine for a quick alteration.

Now that she's dressed, she asks me to fix her hair the way Jessie wears it in Toy Story. That little task takes a little longer than I thought it would and as a result, we're now behind schedule...but not too badly. We head out to the surburban to hit the road. We have to be at school by 8 a.m. We get loaded up and on our way.

About 6 miles down the road, for some strange reason my thoughts turn to whether or not I have everything I need. Lunch...Check...Camera...Check...Bottle of water...need to stop at the store...Purse? Arrghhh! Where's my purse!? Shoot! I left it at home. I look around for my cell phone to call hubs to bring my purse to me. guess what!? I left my phone too!!! A quick glance at the clock tells me that I do not have time to run back to the house. I'll have to get Little Bird to the school, come back home to retrieve the forgotten items, and then try to catch up with the Field Trip caravan in route to the Farm. Yeah, that sounds like a plan!

After dropping Little Bird off at school, I hit the ground running, driving no faster than 85 mph. Once I got home, I got my purse and cell phone, double checked the address on the computer for the Farm, and made a potty stop. Great! Aunt Flo has decided to drop in on me....TODAY of all days! Early!!! This day is just keeps getting better!

Finally, I'm out the door.....again....and again I drive no faster than 85 on my way back to the school. Now that I have my cell phone, I call ahead to see if the group has left the school yet. Nope, they haven't but they will shortly. I breathe a sigh of relief....and hear a "ding ding ding" sound coming from my dashboard. Well, hmmph, I seem to be low on fuel. It's a good thing the gas station is right THERE!! I stop, insert debit card, key in my zip code, and put the nozzle into the gas tank. I begin pumping the gas, and look up to see the school buses and following parents going past me. Okay, no biggie....I pump about $15 dollars worth, snatch the receipt from the pump, toss the nozzle back on the pump....oops! I need batteries for the camera. That task taken care of I exit the store, jump into the Surburban, and catch up to the caravan....just like I had planned!

We got to the farm and I put my lunch on the trailer with all the other parents' lunches. I got my camera and trotted over to where the children were sitting. I turned it on and got a little flashing message, "Low Battery". Since I had just bought some new batteries, I thought, "Hopefully, nothing cute will happen while I change the batteries."

Those brand new batteries I just bought? Dead. As a doornail. What else could go wrong today? This is soooooo very frustrating! Now I have a dilemma. Should I leave my angel with her class while I hunt down a store somewhere to purchase some more batteries? I don't want to miss anything. After dwelling on the problem for a fairly short amount of time, I decide to go search for a store. I ask one of the tour guides, er, farmers where the nearest store may be. As it turns out, there's a Dollar General only 5 miles up the road! Perfect!

So, having made up my mind, I leave the field trip to get the needed batteries. Upon my return, I learn that I had indeed missed the cutest photo op ever! My baby's Kindergarten teacher had kissed a pig!!!

Oh well, the day isn't over yet. More photo ops abound and now that I have fresh batteries, I intend to make the best of it!! See Field Trip: The Rest of the Story to see the photos.
Oh, and thanks for listening. I really needed to vent after the morning I've had!!!

No comments: