Oct 15, 2009

Mommy, I don't want you to die!

I went to pick up my 6 y.o. Little Bird from school on Monday. During the ride home, she was singing and talking in the backseat when she suddently said to me, "Mommy, I don't want you to die." I thought to myself, "What's THAT about!?"

So, I did what I thought was right and what my dad did when I asked such questions; I embarked on this little lecture about how everything has a season, and we all live and die, we're all appointed a time to die, yada yada yada.

She didn't respond and we rode in silence for a few minutes before I got curious and glanced back to see what she was doing. Thinking she was only looking out the window watching the scenery go by, I was astounded to see my angel quietly crying, the bottom lip stuck out, tears welling up in her eyes and spilling over.

I pulled the truck over to give her more of my attention. Taking her hand, I asked, "Baby, what's wrong!?" to which she really turned the waterworks on and declared, "But, Mommy, I don't want you to DIE!!!"

I then decided that maybe a Facts of Life talk wasn't appropriate at this time, so I attempted to reassure her that although my time would come some day, I didn't think it was going to happen before we got home and enjoyed some dinner. She seemed to calm down a little at that and we then proceeded to our destination. Since this incident on Monday, she seems to be much better now and has asked no more questions.

It just broke my heart! I have no idea what brought this on. I'm afraid to push her to find out for fear of traumatizing her.

As an afterthought, I'm hoping that this situation and my response to it won't hurt my chances of living a healthy, long life. LOL

1 comment:

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Awwww... she is so precious. **sigh** This sort of discussion is really just a part of growing up, isn't it? I think you handled it so well.