Mar 3, 2012

20 ways to say “I love you”


I am typing this article from a clipping I saved dated May 2002 of Redbook magazine written by Nancy Evans
Nancy Evans is a founder and the editor-in-chief of the online women's network iVillage.com (http://www.ivillage.com/).


Of course you're crazy about your kids. Below, tips that'll show them just how much.

Like most moms, you probably can't begin to count the ways your love expresses itself, from the shoes tied to the knee scrapes made "all better." Nor do you track the sleep lost or worries concealed. Your love – and the ways you show it – is boundless, all-embracing, as natural as breathing.If we're lucky, those feelings get reflected back to us in priceless ways, such as homemade cards that say "I love you" and a grateful hug after a comforting talk.

All the more reason to go ahead and outdo yourself. Shower your kids with maternal love in grand style with these ideas from the women at iVillage.com.And by the way: Happy Mother's Day.
  1. "My daughter and I squeeze hands three times to say "I love you." It's a sweet secret between us."
  2. "I wrap my kids' lunch sandwiches in colored waxed paper an dseal them with heart stickers for a midday 'hug'."
  3. "My husband uses a turkey baster to make pancakes in the shapes of our kids' favorite things: hockey sticks, paper dolls, Mickey Mouse, whatever!"
  4. "I frame and display my kids' artwork, straight A's, and varsity letters. It tells them I love to show them off!"
  5. "I taught my daughter how to say 'I love you' in sign language: Hand upright, with the middle and ring fingers bent down and the thumb, index finger, and pinkie extended. We sign as she's riding away on the school bush each morning."
  6. "Every year on the eve of my daughter's birthday, I sneak into her room while she's sleeping and decorate it with streamers and balloons. She loves waking up in a birthday fairyland!"
  7. "I ask my children all the time, 'Have I told you lately that I love you?' Usually they say, 'Yes, ten minutes ago,' but it gets my point across!"
  8. "I've started writing yearly 'love letters' to my children and putting them away in their baby books. I talk about their likes and dislikes, their quirks, and important events in their lives so they'll always have a reminder of how blessed I feel to be their mother."
  9. "Every night as they lie in bed, I tell my children 'I love you bigger than the sky,' and I hold my arms out as far as I can. My kids look forward to it."
  10. "Because I just went back to school, I'm often not at home when my husband puts my daughter to bed. So that I can still 'be' there for her at bedtime, I made tape recordings of myself reading her favorite books."
  11. "Recently my husband and I made a family tree with our son. We drew a big heart around his name and hung the tree over our bed to show him that he has a place in our hearts."
  12. "My husband and I always ask our daughter about her new favorite thing – band, clothing designer, TV show – so we can treat her to a new CD or shirt after she accomplishes something great. That way she knows we listen!"
  13. "Now and then I'll leave work early and surprise my son by picking him up from school. We go out for ice cream and great one-on-one time."
  14. "I send my daughter letters and cards, just to say 'Thinking of you.'"
  15. "Once a month I give my daughter a manicure and pedicure."
  16. "We use a high five to say 'I love you' when my son needs a boost – like before a soccer game – so he won't be embarrassed in front of his friends."
  17. "Sometimes I'll treat my kids to a reverse dinner: dessert first!"
  18. "When I'm on the phone with a friend and my daughter walks into the room, I mention how great she's doing in school or ballet class. It shows her I'm proud of her."
  19. "My husband and I create coupons that say 'No chores' or 'five-minute backrub' for our kids to redeem when they need a lift.
  20. "Hugs, hugs, and more hugs!"

No comments: