Jun 2, 2013

Little House on the Prairie Day Camp

As I was putting together my summer schedule, my girls expressed an interest in participating in a local 1850's Plantation History camp.  Participation in this camp costs a pretty penny for 40 hours of day camp.  My pocket book wouldn't allow me to spend that much money plus it is a 40 minute drive from my house - one way - so I started brainstorming.  Since we're planning to do a Little House road trip at the end of the summer, I thought maybe I could scour the internet and see what I could glean from homeschoolers and such regarding Little House activities, snacks, games, crafts, etc.

That being said, the Easy Fun School site seems to have nearly everything I need.  So I present this DIY Little House on the Prairie Day Camp which I will teach to my girls and a couple of their friends next week, 9 - 12, M-F.

We'll begin each day with a reading story:  Probably one of the excerpts from the My First Little House series or a chapter or two out of one of the larger books.

Activities:
  • Timeline
  • Map of Laura's travels
  • Feather (for Quill pen) and Berry Ink for letter writing
Crafts:
Snacks:
Pioneer Games:
  • Hop, Step, and Jump
  • Tug of War
  • Hoops and Graces
  • Blind Man's Bluff
  • Feather Dance
  • Comical Concert
  • I Spy
  • The Elements
  • Fly Away, Pigeon!
Edited to add some craft/activities ideas to research later:
  • Ma's Chores
    • Wash on Monday - Washboards and dishpans? Wash doll clothes?
    • Iron on Tuesday
    • Mend on Wednesday
    • Churn on Thursday
    • Clean on Friday
    • Bake on Saturday
    • Rest on Sunday
  • Sunday and The Story of Grandpa's Sled and the Pig
  • Going to Town
    • Pebble Pockets
    • Snack of Bread and butter, cheese, hard boiled eggs, cookies for the lakesdie picnic
  • The Deer in the Wood
    • Bread and Butter
  • A Little Prairie House
No-Sew rag doll
Bead necklaces (or make our own clay or paper beads?)
Paper dolls
Cousin Ed's "Straw" Hat
Wildflower seed packet to print and color, then fill with mystery wildflower seeds
Paper sunbonnets

Tentative schedule:

9:00 – 9:15
Prayer and Intro
9:15 – 9:30
Read Story
9:30 – 10:15
Baking activity
10:15 – 10:30
Snack
10:30 – 10:45
Game
10:45 – 11:30
Arts and Crafts
11:30 - 12
Clean up

No comments: