Aug 15, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten

Well, we did it. We got Little Bird enrolled in public school. I had to take her to take a little test on Monday. I was both excited and relieved when the teacher enthusiastically told me that Little Bird already knows about 3/4 of what they're gonna cover this year. She just didn't know many of the sight words or her home address and phone number. Otherwise, she recognized all the alphabet letters, knew the sounds they make, counted to 30, and many other things. Plus, since she turns 6 in September, she'll be one of the older students in Kindergarten. The teacher said she couldn't begin to tell me how smart the decision to wait was/is. I look forward to a very positive Kindergarten experience for my Little Bird.

I'm a tad concerned that she may get bored with the material at the school, butI have stuff here at home to supplement her with as well as her involvement in 3 extra curricular activities this year (BTW, is 3 too much ? - choir, dance, and piano lessons).

I still have my reservations about putting her in public school since I wanted to homeschool my little ones. However, I felt that I haven't been as diligent as I should have been. On the other hand, I must've done a decent job seeing that she did so well at the testing. I also have Kangaroo at home for 2 more years also. I can still homeschool her and get her prepared. I'm also planning to allow her to play hookey for education field trips with a homeschool group that I have Kangaroo in. Hopefully, that won't offend anyone.

All that being said......on the first day of school yesterday, Little Bird was so excited that she couldn't sleep the night before! She was awake and out of bed before the alarm!

Hugging Kangaroo Bye Bye
Hugging Daddy Bye Bye
At her classroom door.
Settling in for the morning.
When I picked her up from school, she just chattered all the way home about her day. She told me how they went on a tour of the school (disquised as a bear hunt). She told me about how they played on the playground. She mentioned a red box on the playground that the children stand in.

If they're quiet, they receive a blue ticket to be used at the end of nine weeks for the purchase of treats in the Positive Behavior Store.

She also told me that for lunch they had Salad (with Ranch dressing), Fish Sticks, Fruit Salad, and Mashed Potatoes which they apparently make better than I do (according to Little Bird). She was so excited about the Salad!

When we got home for the afternoon, she didn't want to change out of her uniform and even begged to sleep in it for the night!

She's even more excited about her upcoming "cheese wagon" ride on Monday morning!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm sad to hear that homeschooling didn't work out like you wanted, but glad to hear she did very well her first day. Sounds like you taught her very good while you had her home. Hope she has a great year!!