Jan 4, 2009

Old Photos: Paternal Grandmother

My great great aunt Philonia and My Grandmother in their younger days.


The following pictures are of my paternal grandmother and where she came from. I'm still doing research on this part of the family but have found much interesting stuff over the years.

Sylvia Lee Ellis

L-R: Frank Tandeckie, Philonia Stogner Tandeckie, Chinese Stogner,
and my G-grandma Cora Stogner Ellis


L-R: My G-G-Grandpa Robert "Bob" Stogner (he was Cora's daddy),
Frank Tandeckie, and Philonia Stogner Tandeckie

Now, let's see if I can explain this right.
There was my Grandmother Sylvia whose parents were Jess Ellis (b. Aug 2, 1900 d. Mar 28, 1958) & Cora Stogner (b. Dec 1, 1908 d. May 2, 1971).

Jess Ellis parents were John Thomas "Tom" Ellis (b. 1876) & Ida Parasa Collins (b. 1876).

Ida Parasa Collins parents were Printes Powhatten Collins (b. 1850) in Newton County, MS and is buried in Whatley cemetery in Forrest County. He married in Union. to Ms. Minerva (or Minivera) Parker (b. 1850 d. 1925).

Prentiss P. Collins father was Christopher Columbus Collins b. @1816 in N.C. and married April 21, 1840 in Mobile Ala. Ellen Goff. b. 1819

John Ransom Parker (photo below) (b. approx 1850 something) is/was Minerva's brother.
So that makes him MY great-great-great Uncle?.....I think.

Minerva and John Ransom's parents were Jonathan (or Jesse in some references) Seaborn Parker & Jesmina (or Gemima) last name unknown (b. 1829).

Dr. Jonathan (or Jesse) Seaborn Parker was of Jasper county. He lived and practiced medicine in Newton county. Minerva's mother was Jesmina b. Feb. 1829 (we have it spelled Jesmina but it could have been either). The story goes that she was Portuguese. I have also heard that she was Indian.

I know there are other siblings to Minierva and John Ransom but I'm still collecting names for them too.

John Ransom Parker (Minerva's brother)


I have also learned that the Collins family comes from a line of what is called Melungeons. Of course, I'm still learning about all this. But what a great lesson!!!

No comments: