Sep 30, 2009

Immensely Valuable

I was talking with an old friend today with whom I've recently reconnected. I'd always wondered about him and his family and whatever happened to them or where they went. Anyway, as it turns out, he's been nearby nearly the whole time! Well, not the WHOLE time because he's had other places to go too, but .... well, you KWIM. Anyway, he is now a Captain in the Louisiana Army National Guard, Alpha Co., 256th BSTB.

Today, we were chatting about some things from our past, the childhood we shared, dreams for our children, etc. At one point, our conversation turned quite serious, deep thoughts were exchanged, and it was mentioned that his unit will be deploying for Iraq shortly after this coming Christmas. It struck me that I needed to thank him. First for listening to me and then for serving his country and protecting me, the constitution, and my freedom.


His reply was:

"I listen because I believe ya'll are immensely valuable. I serve for the same reason."

This statement has stuck with me for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Eventually, I began to hear another voice telling me the same message. The voice of my Father in Heaven telling me that He is there to listen to me. Why? Because He believes that I am valuable! And that is the reason that he hung on the cross for me. Because I am valuable!

And ya know what? I just had to share.

I would love to be able to write a huge essay on the importance of this statement and the realization that came because of it, but I'm not much of a writer. I just sit here with my laptop on my lap and type my thoughts into a little white screen.

The bottom line is, and forgive me for sounding like a broken record, I am Valuable .... to a friend ... to a soldier .... but mostly to Jesus in Heaven who hung on a cross, died, and rose again to save my miserable little soul. Wow.

No comments: