Oct 25, 2008

Spiritual Leadership

I got up this morning about 8:30 a.m. I've been feeling a little down the past couple of days and blame it on the weather. However, today, I can't blame it on that because it's a nice, crisp, beautiful day outside. Anyway, I've been craving spiritual leadership in my home. I feel like I'm the only one doing anything around here. I don't mean to put down on my husband or anything. He's a good man, hard worker, does his part around the house, likes his Budweiser, Copenhagen, and LSU games. The stereotypical redneck fella. He's definitely not a spiritual man much less a leader. He's one of those Easter/Christmas christians.

I sat down with him to have a talk this morning. I told him that I'd been needing something from him for quite some time. Then I paused while I got my thoughts together. At the same time, I could feel him getting defensive. Then I told him what it is I've been needing....Spiritual Leadership in our home. His response? "You know that church just isn't my thing...." and then he started this "If you want me to do this for you then you have to do some things for me...." and off he goes on the housekeeping rant. Then he tells me to stop pushing. I have never pushed. I just mentioned it this time because it's been heavy on my heart lately.

All I want is daily prayer and devotionals with the children. Is that really too much to ask? I could do it myself but (and here's my excuse) I'm afraid I won't do it "right". Besides, I don't think that was the original design.

I guess I hope that later he'll start feeling convicted and WANT to go to church with us on a regular basis. I don't know. I told him that if he felt embarrassed to be in church that he could sit on the back row where no one will see him, except the other hubbies sitting back there.

Okay, that's all for now. I need to get off my behonkus and start cleaning house. We're planning a big yard sale next weekend at my mom's and I have a lot of work to do now. I wonder if I do a really good job today, will he go to church with me tomorrow?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Cynthia,
It's good that you have a desire for your husband to be the spiritual leader in your home. I hope you don't mind my comment but I noticed you have been following my blog along with some of my friends' blogs. Please don't be offended in any way. Just want to share my heart.

First, we should look at ourselves first in all circumstances to see if there is something we need to improve on or are not doing correctly. It is easy to see others faults but not our own. Are you allowing him to lead or be the head in the home or are you filling in the gap where he is not instead? I'm not saying that you are doing this because I do not know you just wanted to point it out.

Second, it appears as if your husband is not a believer. You can not be an Easter/Christmas Christian. Either you are or your are not. You either have a passion for Christ or you don't! I would not mention this issue again at this point since you have already expressed your opinions to him. Pray for him! Pray that God would save him and turn his heart toward his home, his wife, and his children. There is nothing we can do to save them but our examples can be used. 1 Cor. 7:14 states For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

Pray that the Lord would soften his heart, draw him to Himself, and save him. You are called to love, honor, respect, and submit to him whether he is a believer or unbeliever as long as he doesn't ask you to sin against God then you obey God rather than man. He can still be the head and leader of the home just not the spiritual leader.

As for your children, you are called to do these things with them whether your husband does or not. They must see the love for the Lord through their mother not just their father. In our home, my husband leads family worship in the evenings several nights a week plus we worship together on Sundays and Wednesdays. I also have morning worship time with my children as part of our school day at least three days a week. You can start by praying with them, maybe singing a hymn with them, and reading a chapter from the bible which is what I do with my children. Get a devotional to read with them but get one that is solid and not too childish. Kids understand more than we give them credit. Pray that God would save them! Press the gospel (point out their sin, repentance, point to the cross of Christ...repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ) to their hearts.

I hope this helps! I feel for your situation. Your desires are good and right but his heart must be changed first. Pray, pray, pray and press on.

Cynthia said...

Thank you so much for your comment. I know that I must obey God and do what he has called me to do. Your input has reminded me of Matthew 7:3 where Jesus says "You can see the speck in your friend's eye, but you don't notice the log in your own eye." I agree that I need to get rid of my log. Thanks again for the reminder.