Dec 18, 2008

My long lost little sister

Recently, I was contacted by my long lost little sister. My siblings and I have known about her since before her birth. She also has older siblings on her mom's side who knew of the circumstances and situation that prevented my dad and her mom from getting married. I won't go into all the details here. Last year, she learned about our side of the biological family tree and she made contact with us. At this time, she has no desire to meet or contact my dad. She feels that the man who raised her is her real daddy. She has stated that she knows that one day she'll need to cross that bridge, but not right now. My siblings and I are in complete agreement with her. We completely understand how she feels. I don't know HOW we understand, but we do. If someone were to come to me and tell me that my dad is not my dad, I would probably respond by shrugging my shoulders and replying, "So?"

Anyway, so my little sister is back in my life. I say "back" because as I previously mentioned, I've always known about her and have always had the desire to meet her and get to know her. This summer, when she made contact with us, that became a reality! I met her in July. This is the first Christmas that we'll get to spend with her. I got her a gift, an essay/photo book entitled, "Sisters". I am inscribing a poem in the front of it for her.

I'm posting it here because I know she doesn't read or know about my blog. So, I won't be giving away any secrets or surprises. So, here goes. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement, please feel free to say so!!!

Never will forget that day in July
You walked into my life
Wrapped your arms around me
Felt like you just come home
Couldn’t think of what to say
Didn’t want you to go away
Wanted to ask all about your life
Where you went to school
How you learned to drive
You’re always in my heart
Though miles and years apart
You mean so much to me
Your returning has made me happy
Missing puzzle piece has been found
Long lost sister
Safe and Sound

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I have had a very similar situation in my life...but I didn't know about my brother until he found us (no one did!). He was accepted right into our family. He and his family is SUCH a Blessing to us! Praying for you....the Poem is lovely!