Dec 22, 2008

Cajun Christmas Gifts, pt. 2

Continuing the Cajun Christmas Gifts...I decided to do 2 separate posts because #1: I was getting tired of all that typing and #2: separate posts make for easier reading...(you're welcome!)
Day 7: Seven Fleur De Lis...How hard is it to find THESE in Louisiana? So this is what I sent my sister to help her keep her wine glasses or water goblets from getting confused!



Day 8: Eight crabs a brewin' .... oh boy. What am I gonna give her now? Can't send her eight crabs now can I? I go back to Ebay and do a search and "to what do my wonderin' eyes do appear?" This beautiful bracelet for my sister to wear!




Day 9: Nine oysters stewin'....Well, now HERE'S a dilemma! I search and google all over for SOMETHING but I keep drawin' a blank. Finally, I find an oyster platter but it only has 6 wells for 6 oysters. I need a 9 well. Do they make those? Well, yeah, but not for cheap! In fact, after googling and ebaying, and finding everything from a 6 well to a 24 well plate, I decided that if it can't be found....then it can be made. I sent hubs out again with the chainsaw to cut a plate size piece of wood in which he can rout out 9 wells. This task turned out to be not so easy. In the end, he purchased a wood cutting board and did the routing on that. It wasn't as pretty as I would've liked but it was much less $$ than the $2000.00 I kept seeing for antique platters. In the end, I guess I could've found a 9 inch oyster!? Also, wouldn't cha know.....This is the one gift I didn't get a picture of!!! So you'll just have to picture it in your mind. Sorry! :(


Day 10: Ten pirogue paddles. Hubby easily solved this one for me. My dad has been building his house next door and doing much of the finishing and trimming work with cedar. Dad gave hubs a plank of cedar just big enough to cut some small, ornament sized, pirogue paddles out of. Then I tied a pc of red ribbon to it and stuck ten of them in a box for sister. I figured she could hang them in her closets now that she has that house full of smelly kids! (Her new hubs brought 5 children (ages 7 - 17) with him into their blended family!) This picture is of the first one. It was damaged so hubs had to start all over but you get the idea.

Day 11: Eleven duck decoys. After searching Ebay, I found some duck decoys, I but wasn't happy with sending her eleven of them. I mean, she's already picking up after seven children now....did she want to keep up with eleven duck decoys? I just couldn't do that to her. I finally ran across this beautiful print featuring a pair of children feeding a mother duck and her ten ducklings. Then I purchased a Walmart frame to put it in. I figured my sister could hang it in her bathroom or something.

Day 12: Twelve shotgun shells. Okay, well, all I could come up with here was this. I made twelve of these and sent them off to her. I'm sure there are some other really cool crafty things to do with shotgun shells, but I was at the end of my rope....not to mention DEADLINE! I needed to get this stuff packed up and shipped off to Olive Branch, MS!! This picture came from the http://www.shotgunsanta.com/ website. I didn't make mine exactly like this but it was pretty close.

So, there you are. The Cajun 12 gifts of Christmas. I did this for my sister because just love her sooooo much!!! Sadly, I can only do this for one family member at a time, so hopefully, my other sisters can be patient and know that they will get their turn eventually. Although, I'll have to change up the gifts a bit to keep the element of surprise!!!




2 comments:

Tracy said...

ABSOLUTELY CRAZY....but cute!

Cynthia said...

I know! Hubby thought so too, but he's been a real trooper doing all the wordworking stuff!