Dec 30, 2008

Why we homeschool

We homeschool for many reasons but the most important reason is because we feel the Lord told us to. Actually, He told ME to do the homeschooling but hubby agreed. Maybe He told Hubby too but DH hasn't said anything to me about that.

How did He tell me? Did he "speak" to me? Well, I like to think that he communicated directly with me but it wasn't an audible voice or anything. Oh, gee, now I'm sounding crazy. Okay, let me just tell you what happened.

Five and a half years ago, when my Little Bird was born, homeschooling was on my heart. When Kangaroo joined our family 2 years later, the homeschooling idea demanded even more of my attention. Sometime in December of 2005, I prayed about the idea and asked the Lord to please tell me what to do. Actually what I said was, "Lord, you created me as a visual learner. You know that is the best way to communicate with me if there is something you want me to do. Please let me know if I am supposed to educate these children through homeschooling."

Between the births of the girls, I had a friend who had retired in the summer and had moved off Florida. She had homeschooled her grandchildren. Well, about a week after my prayer, she phoned me. She was coming back into town for the Christmas holidays. She asked if I still planned to homeschool the girls and if so, would I be interested in having all her leftover materials. Thinking that she had just a couple of boxes, I said sure! I planned to sort through them later to see what I could use. It still hadn't dawned on me that the Lord was answering my prayer.

We made arrangements to meet up at the storage unit where she had her stuff stored. I pulled up there in my little Chevy Venture minivan that I was driving at the time. She directed me back up to a door and out comes her husband with not 1, not 2, but 15! boxes of homeschool materials! Materials range from preschool to 7th or 8th grade! Science, history, math, reading, language, and much more! I didn't say anything to her about this at the time but my thoughts were, "Holy Moly! What am I gonna do with all this?" My next thought, was "Thank you for being so direct with me God! I get it now!"

This summer, I went through the materials looking for what was needed to coorrespond with the Easy Classical method we have chosen to use. I did find quite a bit but ended up going to Ebay.com to find some others. I offered up some of the materials that I'm not going to be using for the next 6 years, then used the money made from those sales to purchase the items needed. Basically, I just swapped them out.

We've only been actively homeschooling since September but we are having SO MUCH FUN! My Little Bird is such and easy student with Kangaroo bouncing along right behind her! I think I'm enjoying this just as much as they are! :D

No comments: