Dec 29, 2008

Christmas Eve 2008

Okay, so here's my little days after Christmas post. We celebrate every year on Christmas Eve with my hubby's side of the family. Every year we get together at the Lion's Club and have a huge potluck dinner. He has a big family. So big, in fact, that buying gifts for everyone has become quite the challenge. There were 40 bodies in attendance at this year's get together. In the past, there has been as many as 75 people! Adult family members had once agreed that gift buying/giving would only be done for the children ages 12 and under. But most times, we don't adhere to that agreement. No body believes in drawing names in this family. That's just not the way things are done here. For my part, I'm always making goodies and stuff for all the married couples (new and old) plus for the kids. I also buy or make gifts for the other 34 out of town family members. These people are all direct descendants of my parents-in-law. I have 4 step children, 4 step children's spouses, and the 6 step grandkids. I also have 5 siblings-in-law (plus their spouses), 12 nieces & nephews (and their spouses), and all their 28 children. Now, keep in mind this is only my hubby's side of the family. I also have my 4 siblings (and S.O's & spouses) and 9 nieces and nephews. And finally, I have my own 4 children. Soooo, all that being said, every year for Christmas, I HAVE (okay, so I don't HAVE TO, no one is holding a gun to my head, but that's another blog) to purchase or make at least one little gift for each individual (except the married couples who usually recieve a couples gift from me). That's a total of 74 gifts, give or take a few. Arrrrggghhh! Tell me again.......What is Christmas? and Why do we do this to ourselves year after year? Here are a few photos of all the kids and a table full of wrapped gifts. This is Christmas Eve with hubby's family.

Doesn't my hubby look like he's having fun?

After all this, we came home, threw some reindeer food out the back door for Rudolph, put on our Christmas jammy's, and crawled into bed. At the last minute, I remembered that I had a gingerbread house that I'd forgotten to work on with the girls. Sooooo, while they slumbered, I decorated the poor thing for them to see when they woke up Christmas morning.
Then I went to bed.

No comments: