Jul 5, 2009

First Sunday Museum Play

After church this morning, we visited the Louisiana Art & Science Museum in downtown Baton Rouge. This is a great place to kill some time on a hot Sunday afternoon! I have a Kodak Easyshare Z712 digital camera that I enjoy taking pictures with. One day I'll take a photography class to learn how to use it better. In the meantime, here are some shots from today.

I call this one "Concentration"

This was an interesting looking boot that I just HAD to take a picture of.
Posted above the display was an explanation about the Hurst Middle School Wetland Watchers of Destrehan, LA.
Taken from the Wetland Watchers website:
The Traveling Shrimp Boot Project
White shrimp boots are a Louisiana staple. Often referred to as “Cocodrie Converse” or “Swamp Nikes”, these popular boots are more of a symbol of Louisiana than merely the boot shape. They represent the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of commercial fisheries that are dependent on Louisiana wetlands. Louisiana contributes a great deal of the nation’s commercial catch as well as other valuable resources. As part of this project, students paint the boots themed after what they love most about Louisiana. Students design activities to place in the boots that help students in other states realize how important Louisiana wetlands are to them and that the coastal land loss in Louisiana affects all of us – not just Louisiana residents! These boots will be loaned to classrooms throughout the United States. Participating classes will complete the provided activities and then use the included webcam to interview my students via Skype video conference calls. My students will answer questions about the wetlands and also ask questions about environmental issues the cooperating students may have in their area.

Moving on to other areas of the museum.

"Dr." Kangaroo? The Old State Capitol building.
Inside the Old State Capitol on the staircase.
Looking up from the staircase.

I laid down on the step below the girls to get this one. It isn't the best picture, but I was trying for an unusual angle. I was absolutely fascinated by this stained glass window.

My flash didn't work but I ended up with a pigtail silouette....almost. Little Bird strikes a beautiful pose.
Kangaroo doesn't want to be left out.
"Look, Kangaroo, flying skirts!"
A wrought iron angle.

Well, that's it. That's what we did for the afternoon. If I'd had more time, I would have visited some other locations for photos as well. Oh, well, there's always next Sunday. Hmmm,I thinkI might look up some geocaches as well!

No comments: