Jul 1, 2009

The Shower Blowout Saga

I didn't wake up until 10 a.m. this morning. Sleeping in is nice but can be painful if you lay there too long. Especially after you've entered the 4th decade of your life.

The first thing I did was use the restroom, drink some water, and get dressed. Then I got my bicycle and set out for a ride. Here in South Louisiana at 10 a.m. on the first day of July, it's pretty hot. As I type this only 2 hours later, the current temperature outside is 93F. The high today is predicted to be 97F.

Anyway, as I rode, my first thought was, "Hey, this is pretty nice today. Not too hot....the birds are singing....I feel good!" When I got to the 1.5 mile mark, I noticed a rhythmic Thlap, Thlap, Thlap, on my front tire. Paying closer attention to it, I also noticed a small knot in the middle of the tire. Stopping the bike to closer examine the issue, I noticed the outer tire had a cut and the inner tube was protruding through it.

I got back on the bike and rode a couple of more Thlap Thalps. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, that exposed inner tube just couldn't compete with the hot asphalt so it exploded.

Oh, well, I'll just walk back to the house and push my bicycle. During the walk back to the house, I was sweating so hard! It was dripping into my eyes and stinging. I began thinking about a nice long shower when I got back home. I walked my bike up to my dad's house with hopes that he'd be able to repair it when he got a chance. He noticed how red my face was (it gets REALLY red when I exercise) and commented that I looked bit hot. I said, "Yeah, I'm looking forward to a shower."
He responded, "Oh, you can't take a shower!"
I looked at him like he was crazy. I said, "Annnnd why not?"
Then he proceeds to tell me that while he was working around the house today, he ruptured the water main. See, out here in the country, we have a water well. Dad has run all the water lines to the house, the chicken coop, the dog pen, the garden, etc. But today, he has another project going on and when he drove a stake into the ground to mark the territory of the project, he hit the main line.
Yay. Can you just hear the sarcasm there? Yay
So, I sit here now, cooling off in the A/C at least, typing my blog, until the line is repaired and water is restored. THEN I'll go take that shower and wash all the dried sweat off of me.

No comments: