Jul 1, 2009

Pre Diabetes/Insulin Resistance

On Friday, June 26, 2009, I met with my doctor to discuss some blood test results. I was told that I am (along with 57% of Americans) pre-diabetic or Insulin Resistant. I have not yet developed full blown diabetes, but this is why my doctor wanted to consult with me. He wants to prevent me from developing the disease. He believes that we can head it off with lifestyle change, better food choices, regular exercise, and substantial weight loss.

And so, I embark on this journey. I have started an online food diary and exercise journal to keep track of what I'm doing to my body. The links to these along with printouts will be given to my doctor.

On Saturday, I began watching my carb limits. The doctor wants me to have 10 or less carbs per meal. This is a difficult task! On Monday, I began the South Beach diet program with the doctor's blessing. Phase One of this program requires that I eat only high protein foods. No sugars, Grains, or Fruit allowed for 2 weeks!!! This is along with drinking a lot of water and 30 minutes of exercise a day.

By the way, the doc said that when I do exercise, he wants me huffing and puffing for 30 solid minutes. If I can talk during my 30 minutes, I'm not working hard enough. My challenge right now is to find a comfortable level to keep steady before having a heart attack or something during my exercise session.

Okay, I'll sign off for now but not before saying that I am excitedly pleased to report a weight loss of 7 lbs since my doctor's visit on Friday just 5 days ago!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

If you would like to see what I'm eating, click here.

No comments: