Apr 23, 2009

Firsts

Today was a day of firsts for us. Allow me to share a little. FIRST, I began my day by opening my eyes to the sound of the telephone ringing at 7 a.m. It was The Teen calling to remind me that I'd forgotten to write a check for him to turn in to the school office. My fuzzy brain was thinking...."What check?"....when The Teen interrupted my thoughts with "MOM, You've got to hurry! There's only 2 spots left!" Then it hit me...."Oh, THAT check!!!"

So, picture it if you will. I leap out of bed slipping into the jeans lying on the floor by my bed, dive into a t-shirt, run my fingers through my hair fluffing it as I go, grab my keys, get out the door and into my white Surburban. Three miles later, I'm finally awake....thinking about getting that check written before I get to the school. On 2nd thought... There are only 2 spots left after all. What if both spots are filled before I get there? That fact would result in a wasted check. That wouldn't be a "green" thing! I'll just wait until I get there and THEN I'll write the check.

I arrive, walk in, say hello to the school secretary and ask her if there are any spots left on the list. She says YES and I proceed to write THE CHECK.....for my son's Driver's Education course that he's taking this summer! My baby boy is going to be DRIVING!!! And soon he'll have his FIRST Driver's License! Can you feel the pain? Do you hear the sobs? Whatever am I going to doooo-hooo-hoooo? Aaaaaahhh, the Panic!!!!


Hey! Look! I'm driving!!!


Okay, *deep sigh...in through the nose, out through the mouth**. The emotions are out of my system now. So, I turn around and head out the school's front lobby and into the school parking lot. I walk around. Where did my Maroon Chevy Venture go? I walk around some more, scratching my head. I know I parked it there. Where is it? Surely no one has stolen it out of the school parking lot in the few minutes I was inside!!!

Somewhere, back in the cobwebs of my still sleeping brain, is a vague memory of a White Surburban. Oh, YEAH, I drove the Surburban this morning. Look around some more. THERE it is, right where I left it. I check over my shoulder to make sure no one is watching and make my way over to the vehicle for my departure. I really need to go back to bed and start over!

But alas, I can't. Little Bird and Kangaroo both have an appointment this morning and I must get back home to ready them for this important event. They are so excited to be going to their FIRST dentist visit!

They were perfect little dental patients!!! The Dr. Dentist said they were the most well behaved little patients that he'd seen in quite some time. They politely opened their mouth when he asked them to and most importantly, they didn't bite!!!

Dr. Dentist gave both of them a .....


....for a job well done on brushing their pearly whites! Yay!!! Then he sent us on our way with a very large bag of dental hygiene goodies (i.e. new toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss in mint and bubble gum flavors, and many, many stickers of encouraging words) to improve their brushing habits.

We immediately went to eat Mexican and then spent an hour at the park before returning home with lollipops for treats. Gotta go brush the sugar bugs away before bed!!!!

No comments: