Sep 26, 2009

Natchez Trace: Tricycle

Some time ago, I made a post about my bucket list. The number one item on that list is to bicycle the Natchez Trace. Lately, I have been revisiting that idea. I have spent the last few evenings researching road cycling for beginners. I've learned a few things but haven't been able to put any of it to practice yet. I will need to purchase somet things before I hit the road. First up is a bicycle and then riding clothes.

My main concern about the bicycle is comfort. If I'm gonna be on that thing for up to 6 hours at a time, I want my butt to be comfy. I prefer wide cushy seats to ride on. I also prefer riding upright in order to see the country side. So handle bars to support me in that position would be great!

Then I thought, well, heck, I'll have to haul camping gear too. How am I gonna do that AND be comfy! I can't sleep on the ground the way I used to when I was a youngster. Air mattresses are comfy but a pain to get up off of. I prefer sleeping on a camp cot. How am I gonna carry a camp cot on a bicycle?

AHA! I've GOT IT! Forego the Bi-cycle and take a Tri-cycle! Thus, my research turns towards a tricycle. I found one today while searching. It's an iZip 2008, Tricruiser Adult Electric Tricycle! I have decided that this is the vehicle for me to putt putt along on the Natchez Trace while enjoying the scenery AND there's a basket on the back for all my stuff!!
Features include a 450 watt Earth magnet motor (whatever THAT means) and a rechargable battery giving this trike at range of 30 - 35 miles per charge. It can also reach a maximum speed of 15 mph. That's good for me when I want to get a little distance on the road. It had an EXTRA WIDE seat and the basket I previously mentioned. It also has some other techno stuff that I'm glad it has but I really don't give a hoot about at this point. AND if the charge runs out, well, there's always the old fashioned foot power that'll keep it going.

One thing that bothers me is that if I get it stuck or something, this thing weighs 128 pounds. So, it won't be too easy to unstick it. The other thing that bothers me is the price. Do I REALLY want to spend $1100 on this? Just because it's got a little motor to help me along? It would certainly be more cost efficient to purchase a trike without a motor. A new Schwinn trike would only be about $300! But it will be totally human powered.

So anyway, whatdaya think? Should I try this thing on the Natchez Trace? Should I go with a trike or a bike? I'm totally out of shape but feel that I can get where I need to be physically within a few months of training.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't have much knowledge about what would be the best type of bike for you. You might check out TraceBikes.com

And, rather than staying in campgrounds along the Natchez Trace Parkway you could stay at bed and breakfasts. For info about B&Bs and about the parkway check out NatchezTraceTravel.com

Jenn said...

I'm no help on your decision, but I think it would be neat to try that trip. Can't wait to hear more!!