Feb 11, 2018

2018, Feb 1, Thursday, Part 1

After his surgery, we were released to go home with instructions to leave his bandages for 3 days before showering.  The goal was to keep the incision clean and dry.  By the time we got home though, the bandages were saturated and we got worried.  I got worried.  We called the doctor and spoke with his surgery nurse who told us just to change the bandages, packing it tightly, and keep the incision, again, clean and dry.  By the 29th, 6 days post-op, Charlie was feeling well enough to go out on an inspection job 2 1/2 hours away (one way).  He couldn't drive yet because the doctor had not cleared him (that I know of) and beside, I wouldn't let him.  So, I drove him over to do his thing and walked with him through the shop.  He mentioned he was  sore but fine.  He finished his inspection and we enjoyed a lunch date before going home.

A few days later, on Wednesday, Jan 30,  he didn't do much around the house.  Just sat in his recliner, watching TV or doing his crosswords.  He mentioned he didn't feel well.  I asked about his incision and we checked it for infection.  I didn't see anything amiss so we redressed it with clean bandages.  I checked his temp for fever and he was running a low grade 99 but that wasn't too concerning because when I'm healthy, I run a 99 in the afternoon.  So, we thought nothing of it.

On Thursday morning, we got up to go for one more inspection run.   Again, we had to go to the job site 2 1/2 hours away.  It was 55 degrees.  He walked the 100 feet out to where I had parked the truck at the end of my very muddy driveway.  He mentioned feeling a little dizzy and thought that was odd.  Then it passed and he said he was fine. We left a little later than we should have and got stuck in traffic.  He was patiently sitting in the passenger seat, making his phone calls, checking his emails, etc.  I believe I actually began having a panic attack complete with a shooting pain across my shoulder blades, shortness of breath, AND lightheadedness.  Was I having a heart attack, panic attack, or coming down with something?  And it passed within moments.

We finally got out of the traffic and settled into the drive.  Along the way, we talked about different things but the oddest question came out of his mouth.  He asked me what would I like to do with the 40 acres of property we own.  I nearly jumped out of the driver's seat in shock!  He'd NEVER asked me what I wanted!!!  After the initial, eyes wide opened look at him, I told him, "Well, I don't know. Do you have any suggestions?"  Then he went into this little spiel about selling the timber off the property and getting a new vehicle.  Both of ours are pushing the limits and I needed a new ride for myself and our girls.  Melody will be ready for Driver's Ed this fall and will need a car (or something) as well.  I jokingly said we could wrap the Suburban in bubble wrap.  We also talked about getting the motorhome finished for the Alaska roadtrip that he wanted to go on so badly.  The 2017 Summer plans hadn't worked out and he was determined to get to it this year.

The entire ride, I still felt like I couldn't breath deep enough.  Couldn't get enough air into my lungs, below the bottom rib.  When we got there, he went into the shop and leaned back for a nap.  Approximately 45 minutes later, he came out.  I woke up when he opened the door and leaned into the truck, taking deep breaths.  He was sweating as if he'd just finished a run or hard hike.  It was 55 degrees.  I asked him if he was okay and he replied that he had to climb two flights of stairs and take two trips into the shop.  He said he thought he'd just over did it.  He mentioned being light headed again and shook his head.  Then he got into the truck.

I asked again if he was okay.  He said, "Just give me a minute."  A minute (or so) later, he made some phone calls and then handed me his phone.  He asked me to type an email to the project manager regarding the inspection, which I did.  Then he said, "Let's go get something to eat.  Maybe I'm just hungry."  We went to this cute little diner just up the road and at first, I wasn't sure they'd be open.  It was only 10:30 a.m.

We arrived and he got out of the truck, took a few steps, and stopped.  He was a little unsteady with lightheadedness again.  He insisted that he needed something to eat.  We ordered Chicken Fried Steak.  We ate and left.  This time, he said, "Maybe I need to go to the doctor."  I replied, "Well, it's 11 a.m. and we're 2 1/2 hours from home.  I have to pick the girls up from school today at 2:30."  He said, "Okay, let's get closer to home."

We drove, talked as before, he had a concerned look on his face and kept teasing me about watching him instead of the road.  We got back into our area and I asked if he still needed to go to the doctor.  He said, "No.  Just take me home.  I think I just over did it today and I just need to rest."  I said, "Okay".  (Looking back, I should have taken him straight to the ER at OLOL)

We got home appx 1:30.  He sat in his recliner and we discussed what to do about dinner.  I said I was going to get the girls, take them to piano lessons, and we'd be home about 5:30 or 6.  I walked out of the house and immediately turned around and went back in.  Gave him a kiss and told him I loved him.  He said he loved me too and get going.

About 10 minutes later, he called and asked me to get the girls and come back home to get him.  He said, "I'm feeling really uncomfortable."  Since I was arriving at the school a little early, I opted to skip the carpool line and check the girls out instead.  I explained that it was an emergency.  As soon as I had the girls, I called him to tell him I was headed back.  He sounded quite a bit distressed then.  (Looking back, I should have called an ambulance then).

I got home, got out of the Suburban, and heard a loud thump from inside the house.  I ran in to find him on the bathroom floor.  He was struggling to get up.  He kept insisting that I "give him a minute", so I did.  We managed to get him upright and to the recliner in the living room.  Then I told him I was calling 911 for an ambulance.  He argued with me and said that it would cost too much and to "give him a minute" so he could get to my truck.  I told him at this point that he did not have a choice, I was calling an ambulance.


No comments: