Feb 22, 2018

2018, Feb 20 - I wish you were here

What a day today.  I wish you were here to protect me!  To tell Daddy where to go!  I started out okay this morning.  I had to drive Daddy to his eye doctor appt where they dilated his eyes.  Going over there wasn't so bad.  After that appointment, we had to go to Dana's office so the dentist there could look at Daddy's tooth that had broken off.  Daddy was beginning to act childish at this point.  Even Dana was having a hard time with him and had to send in another hygienist to deal with him.

When we left there, I fully intended to come home and take care of MY business but NO, he decided he needed to go to Port Allen to return some part he got for the Rav4 that he'd just traded in for a silver truck.   In order to GET to Port Allen, I had to go over the Mississippi River Bridge.  Well, Honey, the last time I drove over that bridge, you were in the passenger seat of the suburban.

So, I drove over the river, sobbing.  When I was at the top, the Righteous Brothers, Unchained Melody, I nearly lost it right there up on that New Mississippi River bridge.  Daddy noticed and started in on me.  "Why are you crying?  Are you okay?"  I just wanted him to shut up!!  I was tempted to send him over the edge for a swim!

We got over the bridge and into Port Allen, dropped off the auto part that he wanted the refund on, and headed back across to head home.  Daddy started saying some very unthoughtful and hurtful things to me.  Not directly to me but enough to really hurt.

He began talking about going hiking on the Appalachian Trail.  Said that he would probably have a heart attack while hiking.  AND IF SO, he did not want to be buried anywhere.  NO!  He wants to be CREMATED and his ashes mixed in horse feed so he could be FED TO THE NEAREST MULE!!!  UN-BE-LEAVE-ABLE!

I was getting hungry and opted to swing through a Chick-Fil-A for a snack.  HE didn't want CFA.  HE wanted a McDonald's Vanilla shake.  Even with all his fussing, I directed the truck to CFA and made my order making sure to order him a small vanilla shake.  He got it and began enjoying it .....just like a two year old would.  He started slurping that shake down.  I looked over and he had whipped cream all over the front of his shirt.  He was picking it off his shirt with his fingers and licking it off his fingers.  Just like a damn kid!

We finally got home.  I knew before we got there that my sister in law, Carolyn, would be there long before Daddy and I got there.  Her husband Darryl was working on a tractor that I was trying to sell. 
So when we drove up, I got my purse and everything out of his new truck, and with out a goodbye, I began walking home.  I got over there and cried on Carolyn's shoulder.  My husband was my protector. He would NEVER have put up with dad.   But my husband is gone now and cannot protect me.  So, Carolyn gently reminded me that "Now that he's not here, YOU're gonna have to grow some balls."  Ugh!  I really want my husband back!

No comments: