Feb 13, 2018

2018, Feb 6-8, The Funeral

Tuesday was spent with my family.  I'm sure there was some other stuff I did but I can't remember now. 

Wednesday, my sister Trina came over from Georgia and took me and the girls shopping for some clothing for the funeral.  She even bought me some water resistant makeup to hide the redness of my rosacea.    I spent nearly 4 hours Wednesday night putting together a slideshow for my husband's funeral. 

We arrived at the church at 9:15 a.m.  I wanted to get the tables set up with his book display before the funeral service brought him in.  Since he was an avid reader, and had a ton of books, I chose to share his love of reading with the congregation. 

When they brought him in, I didn't want to see him at first.  And then I did.  He didn't look quite like I expected.  They had put makeup on him.  They said his face was really discolored.  I thought he looked really good, though I joked that he would hate the makeup.  He had strong feelings about certain lifestyles.

Then I stood and stared, and cried, and rubbed his arm the whole time.  Others came to view him and I would have to stop rubbing his arm and move out of the way.  I had included his ex-wife in the obituary and extended an invitation to her to attend the funeral service if she chose to.   I didn't expect the feelings I felt when I saw her.

After the service, I guess it was all over then.  We went back to the hotel room, packed up our things, and got ready to leave the next morning.  Trina had to leave for home and I went to Dana's in Gonzales. 

No comments: