Feb 13, 2009

My Husband Rocks: Our 1st Valentine's


The first Valentine's that DH and I spent together was really pretty cool. At the time, I had one of those 9 - 5 jobs. I had mentioned to him how much I enjoy musicals and I think I had even hinted to him that there was one I wanted to see on stage at the Saenger Theatre in New Orleans. As it turned out, The Phantom of the Opera was playing.

It was Friday, Feb 10, 1995. My older kids, DQ and The Teen, were going to stay with their biological father for the weekend. I left work a little early in order to get to the front of the herd on the interstate and get the kid's to their dad's house. I got back to my apartment and prepped for a shower. I was STARVING for dinner but knew I wouldn't have time to eat anything AND get dressed. Just as I stepped out of the shower I heard a knock at the door.

I donned my robe and opened the door. There stood my date, dressed in a suit and tie, with a bouquet of roses and a styrofoam dinner box. He had arrived early! Leaving him in the dining room, I retreated to my room to finish getting dressed. I had chosen a sweet little short sleeved black dress. The dress was a solid black tank style dress with lace sleeves decorated with a little bow on the outside. A matching bow was at my waist. When I returned to the dining room, he had set my plate, lit a candle, and put the roses in a vase. Wasn't that sweet?

Still concerned I wouldn't have time to eat, he insisted that I sit down and partake of the meal. He said he had already eaten and we wouldn't have time to stop on the way to New Orleans. As we drove, I actually leaned my head back to take a nap! I was so tired from not sleeping the night before due to my excitement!

Upon arrival, we found a parking garage, parked the truck, and proceeded on to stand outdoors (it was cold!!!) to wait until the doors opened so we could get to our seats. We went in, found our tiny little theatre seats, and sat. Since it was my first time ever at the Saenger, I was looking all around admiring the architecture and decor of this old building. Then I noticed the ceiling. I kept staring at it trying to figure out if we were outdoors or indoors! The ceiling was dark and had little twinkling lights on it that looked just like the night sky. It took me quite some time to figure out that we were indoors and the ceiling was just decorated to look that way. It was beautiful!

I really enjoyed see the Phantom of the Opera. When it was over, we had to leave. I really didn't want to but I had to work the next morning so getting home was a bit of a priority for me. We got back to the truck and headed on our way. DH asked me to get a small box out from under the seat. I reached under to get it and pulled out a small, gift wrapped package. He said, "Happy Valentine's Day! That's for you!" I was thrilled that not only had he fed me and taken me to see one of my favorite stage musicals, but he got me a little gift too!

Turns out it was a CD of the Phantom's songs! I popped it into the CD player and relived the evening all over again on the ride home. What a wonderful First Valentine's together!!!

Happy Valentine's Day ya'll!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story! I've enjoyed looking at all your photos and blog entries. It certainly sounds like life is very full and active for you and your family. Your girls are growing so quickly and getting more precious by the year. Thanks for sharing with us...
Love,
Minnie

Anonymous said...

How sweet!!!