May 13, 2009

Facing Rosacea


I've been so frustrated lately. I think I have rosacea though I've never seen a dermatologist to diagnose it. It really flared up during my last pregnancy and my obstetrician said it was hormonal. He prescribed Metrodonizole cream to apply twice a day to the red areas. That was nearly 4 years ago. Occasionally, it would get a little better but I chalk that up to cooler weather. Now that it's getting warmer it seems to be getting worse, even when I use the cream. My face is red, splotchy, itchy, and burns. Sometimes it itches to the point that I'll scratch until it bleeds.

Rosacea seems to be a very common problem and many people live with it. However, when it gets to the point where one is thinking about it a lot and not be distracted with something else, doesn't that mean that it's really getting problematic?

My step mother (from Bogata, Colombia) tells me to break a leaf off an aloe vera plant and apply to my face on a daily basis. I haven't tried it yet but plan to purchase an aloe vera plant tomorrow.

Do any of you suffer with rosacea and what do you do about it?


Edited to Add: 5/15/09 After doing some searches on Google, I went out and bought a small jar of Olive Oil and some chamomile tea bags. Tonight, I will begin dabbing about a teaspoon of oil and tea mixture on my face before bed. We'll see what that does!!

3 comments:

Blakely said...

i found your blog from the disboards. I aslo suffer from rosacea. I have visited the dermitologist, and now I seem to have it under control and only visit him twice a year.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for looking!

DJ said...

I found you from the DIS. I have rosacea. I had one appointment with a dermatologist... she told me I had rosacea and wasn't very nice or helpful beyond that. I didn't want to take the pills she perscribed and that was that with her.
I have tried Clinque's Redness line, Good Skin's All Calm(sold at Kohl's), and Aveeno. All have helped with redness. Clinque's was the first I tried and the most expensive. It took a few weeks to really see the redness lighten and I think they are all that way. But my budget wouldn't allow me to stay with that... so I moved to Good Skin... and now Aveeno, cause I can get it at the grocery store. But I found an Olive Oil soap, from Kiss my Face and I love that for cleansing. In combination with the Aveeno's Ultra Calmning lotion and night cream my redness is pretty much only noticed by me :)
I rarely if ever have a flare-up and my skin feels soo much better.
If I had a better experience with the doc I may have tried something different or if it had happened when I wasn't a brand new mom and could more easily go doctor shopping.... but this worked for me. Good Luck!
Love the Princess Short sets by the way! Soo Cute!
Sorry this was soo long :)