Jan 24, 2010

Saintly Louisiana mammals

A normal passage of time in Louisiana will show us the slight chills of winter time, pleasant weather during fall and spring, and heat and humidity during the summer. Of course, the flora and fauna react to the change in weather as always. Green can be seen all over the place in the spring and summer..and of course, brown during winter...or, depending on the tree...no leafy greenness at all.

Lately, I have noticed something else..something peculiar. While the color scheme is in keeping with the season..it’s the fact that the animal life seems to have adopted the behavior of the plant life that I find interesting. Specifically- I have begun noticing far more frequently some mammals who are gold and black...perhaps as a natural camouflage and in order to avoid predators. However, the color change seems to be on those more usually at the top of the food chain: Humans.

Peculiarly, these people have begun wearing gold and black everywhere. But there is more evidence to consider: The same people will be seen with some emblematic flower artfully done and also emitting(often and seemingly as a call to other tribesmen) a loud (and joyful?) "Who Dat?".

While I had seen this species before, I confess I have not seen the population increase so rapidly as during the past year and beginning of this one(2010). I am thinking there is something in the water down here or perhaps, the natural predators have gone into hiding.

Whatever the case, in each member I sense an increasing urgency in their tribe-speak...as if something is coming that only the members are privy to. In fact, I have heard one or two..after a particularly boisterous rendition of 'Who dat's?'..echoing all around, refer to something coming on the 7th of February somewhere south of here.

Well, all I can say...is there were far fewer of this species around until recently. I find this interesting.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

So true...but I must say....WHO DAT!!!!! :)